Re: Vacuum (table performance)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Claudio Lapidus" <clapidus(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum (table performance)
Date: 2003-06-27 14:25:14
Lists: pgsql-general

"Claudio Lapidus" <clapidus(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Other people mentioned that this probably would get fixed in a forthcoming
> release. Is there anything we can do in the meantime?

This is fixed (or at least greatly improved) in 7.4. Don't suppose
you'd care to run a test version and see if it actually prevents index
bloat for your usage pattern?

In earlier releases there is very little you can do about it; the only
solutions are regular reindexing or modifying your application to keep
the range of index keys from changing. The latter is generally
impractical...