Re: difficulty building PostgreSQL with PHP4?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Phil Glatz <phil(at)glatz(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: difficulty building PostgreSQL with PHP4?
Date: 2001-02-27 02:50:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Phil Glatz <phil(at)glatz(dot)com> writes:
> The error log displays:
> (null): Undefined symbol "_PQsetdbLogin" called from
> httpd:/com/apache/libexec/libphp4.so at 0x8256498

This looks like some sort of shared-library link problem. The situation
probably is that you have a DSO containing the PHP pgsql interface
module, which is loaded by PHP on demand, and which in turn calls the
libpq shared library --- so that DSO also has to be loaded to get the
whole thing to work. A lot of shared-lib dynamic loaders are pretty
unforgiving when it comes to handling indirect shared library
dependencies like this. I am not sure just how to fix it on FreeBSD
(any FreeBSDers out there?). But if you can't find a proper fix,
a workaround would be to link libpq.a into the PHP interface module DSO
so that there's only one level of DSO to resolve, not two.