Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marc Lavergne <mlavergn(at)richlava(dot)com>
Cc: Brian Bruns <camber(at)ais(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation
Date: 2002-02-05 20:15:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc Lavergne <mlavergn(at)richlava(dot)com> writes:
> This would involve far more than just a SQL*Net listener. Given the the
> syntactic differences between Oracle and PostgreSQL, a whole
> compatibility layer beyond the listener would be needed to allow for
> interoperability. The listener piece would be relatively small potatoes
> compared to building an Oracle<>PostgreSQL syntax translator or a
> compatibility layer (the number of "bug" reports something like this is
> capable of generating gives me cold sweats).

Yup. There are some people fooling with a more-Oracle-compatible parser
(eg, Oracle-style outer join syntax) but I fear that just scratches the
surface of trying to make something that's plug-compatible enough to
make Oracle users happy.

Still, having a SQL*Net listener would be a step forward, if anyone
cared to work on it.