Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.
Date: 2017-05-17 16:38:23
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 5/17/17 11:37, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Concretely, how about the attached? I don't think this looks any
>> worse than the current layout.

> The previous setup has been in place for years and has never been a
> problem. The alternatives are all quite a bit worse.

No, the previous setup hasn't been "in place for years". These programs
were only NLS-ified last fall. Before that the code looked like, eg,

printf(" -z, --stats[=record] show statistics instead of records\n");
printf(" (optionally, show per-record statistics)\n");

so that there weren't string continuations for pgindent to fool with.

I'm not really convinced that having usage() print two- or three-line
switch descriptions is "quite a bit better" than what I suggested.