Re: Schema version control

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema version control
Date: 2011-02-11 07:52:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10 Feb 2011, at 23:59, Bill Moran wrote:

> The overview:
> You store your schema and data as XML (this is easy to migrate to, because
> it includes a tool that makes the XML from a live database)
> Keep your XML schema files in some RCS.

That reminds me of something I've been wondering about - How well do modern RCSs deal with structured data formats (like XML)? It would appear that most of them still use diff, which is line-based with limited context tracking, to determine change-sets.

Is that combination guaranteed to result in valid XML if you merge revisions that are far enough apart? Or are there RCSs around that know about XML format (and possibly other structured formats) and handle it differently?

I've heavily used RCSs (mostly Subversion) with, for example HTML, and merge conflicts haven't been unusual. It doesn't help Subversion's diff is a bit simplistic about white-space, I'm sure some of those conflicts were quite unnecessary.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4d54eac711731788013809!