Re: 'out of tree' compile (was: Two weeks to feature freeze)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>, "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'out of tree' compile (was: Two weeks to feature freeze)
Date: 2003-06-27 14:17:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> I do this all the time. Works pretty well. The only minor annoyance
> is that some files are created in the source tree:

Yeah, that's deliberate: those files are shipped in distribution
tarballs (so that tarball users don't have to have bison/flex/perl
to build from a source tarball). So they need to be made in the
source tree. Since they are platform-independent this isn't any
big problem for the normal uses of out-of-tree building. You could
get rid of them I believe by doing a "make maintainer-clean", but
for testing purposes I suspect that's just a waste of cycles. When
the underlying files haven't changed, there's no reason to regenerate
these files.