Re: 8.4devel out of memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4devel out of memory
Date: 2008-09-05 17:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The tables and views aren't that hard; finding a way to generate
> enough fake data may be a challenge. (I assume that since it took
> over a half hour to run out of memory, the volume of data needs to be
> sufficient to get there.)

We don't really need 2GB of leakage to find the problem ... a query
that generates a couple hundred meg of bloat would be plenty.

Since we don't know how much space the query would have needed to run to
completion, it's likely that something involving much less than a tenth
as much data would still be enough to make the leak obvious.