Re: int64 timestamp patch for contrib/pg_controldata

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, sugita(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: int64 timestamp patch for contrib/pg_controldata
Date: 2002-07-31 14:01:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> Shouldn't pg_resetxlog and pg_controldata be brought into the main tree?

Perhaps. At the time they were written they were just quick hacks for
debugging, but we've seen them needed often enough that maybe they need
to be promoted.

> It does look like pg_resetxlog needs to be fixed up, but only if
> controldata is lost as well as the WAL files. How dicy is it to guess at
> a proper controldata file? Seems that the locale settings etc are not
> reliably guessable from just the environment

I think the right thing is to guess from resetxlog's own locale
environment. Properly documented, that at least provides a way to
recover --- if the admin screws up, well, not much we can do.
The timestamp type can be guessed from whatever pg_config data is
compiled into pg_resetxlog.