Re: [INTERFACES] Methods for stepping through results?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Methods for stepping through results?
Date: 1999-02-16 15:47:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net> writes:
> Is there any way to do the following:
> 1. Return a query in groups of x (i.e. 10 or 20) and progressively return
> result groups of x. Just think of search engine navigation.

DECLARE CURSOR ... FETCH ...

There has been some talk of providing a facility for this inside libpq,
where it could be used for handling the results of an ordinary SELECT.
But it doesn't seem real high priority, given that you can use a cursor.

> 2. I have a client who wants to be able to select certain rows (tuples) of
> a result and then "re-submit" the query and have only those rows selected
> in the new results. For example, if a query returns 10 rows and rows
> 2,4,7,9 are checked, when re-submitted only rows 2,4,7,9 would be returned.
> I know it is kind of stupid, but I have to please the customer :(

Seems like something you should be handling inside your application.
Why would you "re-submit" the same query in the first place, if you
already have the results?