Re: way to turn off epochs in log_filename

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Lowry <dlowry(at)bju(dot)edu>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: way to turn off epochs in log_filename
Date: 2007-10-26 21:45:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> If logrotate would work, we'd never have bothered writing our own
>> substitute. But there's no way for logrotate to repoint postmaster's
>> stderr into other files.

> Uh... can't we just use copytruncate with logroate?

How's that going to reset the offsets in the stderr file descriptors of
the various PG processes? There might be some platforms and
configurations where it will work, but I wouldn't tout it as a portable
approach. I'd also suppose that there are race conditions involved:
you'll either lose or duplicate messages that are emitted while
copytruncate works.