Re: [HACKERS] Tutorial

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Tutorial
Date: 2004-07-23 19:31:47
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> What *is* broken is table inheritance, and the docs need to reflect
> this.

The combination of inheritance with certain other features is broken,
yes, and the docs do reflect that (see the bottom of
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/ddl-inherit.html
for example).

I will grant you that this page is a near duplicate of the tutorial's
discussion of inheritance, which is surely bad --- either they should
be exact duplicates, or one or the other needs rewriting. But I'm not
really going to hold still for the docs on inheritance being rewritten
by someone who considers the entire concept broken. Maybe we can get
elein to do it ;-)