Re: storage engine , mysql syntax CREATE TABLE t (i INT)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Gaetano Mendola" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: storage engine , mysql syntax CREATE TABLE t (i INT)
Date: 2004-07-26 14:42:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net> writes:
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 22:23, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't think
>> it's either practical or interesting to try to introduce an equivalent
>> layering into Postgres.

> I can possibly see a use for a row locking storage system, i.e. non MVCC
> for some applications. But I can't see it being worth the amount of
> work it would require.

I can't either. The implications of such a thing really are so
far-reaching that it could not be isolated in a nice little layered API.
To take one example, we'd have to reexamine the locking and crash-safety
behavior for every single command that updates the system catalogs.

For better or for worse, I think we're married to MVCC.