Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-27 22:09:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> The final CommitFest began November 11, 2008. It closed March 25,
>> 2009 (+ 144 days). Beta1 was released April 15, 2009 (+ 21 days).

> I'm not entirely clear on what was happening during the 21 days
> between the end of the CommitFest and and the release of beta1.

Release note drafting is one part of it, but mostly it's "loose end
cleanup". Historically there have always been a pile of loose ends
to be dealt with, and the CommitFest structure doesn't really do
anything to avoid that. If you're interested, attached are all the
commits between commitfest closure (which I announced immediately
after committing the addition of contrib/btree_gin) and stamping
beta1 (which was actually several days before the date Robert gives,
because of the need for the packagers to do their thing).

It appears to me that release notes weren't actually the bottleneck this
time, though they have been in some prior cycles. Bruce committed a
first draft immediately after the commitfest closed. Rather, it was
arguing about things like \df behavior and cardinality() that took up
the time.

We could certainly have released a perhaps-less-polished beta earlier.
I think that the traditional criterion is that we don't release beta1
as long as there are any known issues that might force an initdb.
We were successful in avoiding a post-beta initdb this time, although
IIRC the majority of release cycles have had one --- so maybe you
could argue that that's not so important. It would certainly be
less important if we had working pg_migrator functionality to ease
the pain of going from beta to final.

Now that we have the alpha-release mechanism defined, some of the
pressure for a quick beta could be taken off by releasing a final
alpha right after the final commitfest closes.

* configure, configure.in, doc/bug.template,
src/include/pg_config.h.win32:
commit and tag beta1

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Update release notes through
yesterday; some minor wordsmithing.

* doc/src/sgml/monitoring.sgml: Clarify documentation references to
pg_stat_get_blocks_fetched and pg_stat_get_blocks_hit, per
suggestion from Robert Haas.

* src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES: No more need to update FAQs.

* src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES: Add URL for config.guess/sub updates

* config/: config.guess, config.sub: Update config.guess and
config.sub

* src/timezone/data/: africa, asia, leapseconds, northamerica,
southamerica (REL8_1_STABLE), africa, asia, leapseconds,
northamerica, southamerica (REL8_3_STABLE), africa, asia,
leapseconds, northamerica, southamerica (REL8_0_STABLE), africa,
asia, leapseconds, northamerica, southamerica (REL8_2_STABLE),
africa, asia, leapseconds, northamerica, southamerica: Update time
zone data files to tzdata release 2009e: DST law changes in
Argentina/San_Luis, Cuba, Jordan (historical correction only),
Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia.

* src/: backend/nls.mk, backend/po/de.po, backend/po/es.po,
backend/po/fr.po, backend/po/ja.po, backend/po/nl.po,
backend/po/ru.po, backend/po/tr.po, bin/initdb/nls.mk,
bin/initdb/po/de.po, bin/initdb/po/es.po, bin/initdb/po/fr.po,
bin/initdb/po/ja.po, bin/initdb/po/ru.po, bin/pg_config/nls.mk,
bin/pg_config/po/de.po, bin/pg_config/po/fr.po,
bin/pg_config/po/ja.po, bin/pg_config/po/ru.po,
bin/pg_config/po/tr.po, bin/pg_controldata/nls.mk,
bin/pg_controldata/po/de.po, bin/pg_controldata/po/fr.po,
bin/pg_controldata/po/ja.po, bin/pg_ctl/nls.mk,
bin/pg_ctl/po/cs.po, bin/pg_ctl/po/de.po, bin/pg_ctl/po/fr.po,
bin/pg_ctl/po/ja.po, bin/pg_ctl/po/ru.po, bin/pg_dump/nls.mk,
bin/pg_dump/po/de.po, bin/pg_dump/po/fr.po, bin/pg_dump/po/ja.po,
bin/pg_dump/po/tr.po, bin/pg_resetxlog/nls.mk,
bin/pg_resetxlog/po/de.po, bin/pg_resetxlog/po/fr.po,
bin/pg_resetxlog/po/ja.po, bin/pg_resetxlog/po/ru.po,
bin/psql/nls.mk, bin/psql/po/de.po, bin/psql/po/es.po,
bin/psql/po/fr.po, bin/psql/po/ja.po, bin/psql/po/tr.po,
bin/scripts/nls.mk, bin/scripts/po/de.po, bin/scripts/po/fr.po,
bin/scripts/po/ja.po, interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/nls.mk,
interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/po/de.po, interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/po/es.po,
interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/po/fr.po, interfaces/ecpg/preproc/nls.mk,
interfaces/ecpg/preproc/po/de.po, interfaces/ecpg/preproc/po/es.po,
interfaces/ecpg/preproc/po/fr.po, interfaces/libpq/nls.mk,
interfaces/libpq/po/de.po, interfaces/libpq/po/fr.po,
interfaces/libpq/po/ja.po, pl/plperl/nls.mk, pl/plperl/po/de.po,
pl/plperl/po/es.po, pl/plperl/po/fr.po, pl/plpgsql/src/nls.mk,
pl/plpgsql/src/po/de.po, pl/plpgsql/src/po/es.po,
pl/plpgsql/src/po/fr.po, pl/plpgsql/src/po/ja.po,
pl/plpgsql/src/po/ro.po, pl/plpython/nls.mk, pl/plpython/po/de.po,
pl/plpython/po/es.po, pl/plpython/po/fr.po, pl/tcl/nls.mk,
pl/tcl/po/de.po, pl/tcl/po/es.po, pl/tcl/po/fr.po: Translation
updates for 8.4 beta

* doc/src/sgml/gin.sgml: Update GIN limitations documentation to
match current reality.

* doc/src/sgml/func.sgml, doc/src/sgml/release.sgml,
src/backend/utils/adt/arrayfuncs.c,
src/include/catalog/catversion.h, src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h,
src/include/utils/array.h, src/test/regress/expected/arrays.out,
src/test/regress/sql/arrays.sql: Remove SQL-compatibility function
cardinality(). It is not exactly clear how this ought to behave
for multi-dimensional arrays. Per discussion, not having it at all
seems better than having it with what might prove to be the wrong
behavior. We can always add it later when we have consensus on the
correct behavior.

* doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml: Improve documentation about how checkpoint
spreads I/O activity.

* src/backend/utils/misc/guc-file.l: Treat EOF like \n for
line-counting purposes in ParseConfigFile, per bug #4752. Fujii
Masao

* src/: pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c, pl/plpgsql/src/plpgsql.h,
test/regress/expected/plpgsql.out, test/regress/sql/plpgsql.sql:
Fix the plpgsql memory leak exhibited in bug #4677. That leak was
introduced by my patch of 2007-01-28 to use per-subtransaction
ExprContexts/EStates: since we re-prepared any expression tree when
the current subtransaction ID changed, we'd accumulate more and
more leaked expression state trees in the outermost subtransaction
if the same function was executed at multiple levels of
subtransaction nesting. To fix, go back to the previous scheme
where there was only one EState per transaction for simple plpgsql
expressions. We really only need an ExprContext per
subtransaction, not a whole EState, so it's possible to keep
prepared expression state trees in the one EState throughout the
transaction. This should be more efficient as well as not leaking
memory for cases involving lots of subtransactions.

The added regression test is the case that inspired the 2007-01-28
patch in the first place, just to make sure we didn't go backwards.
The current memory leak complaint is unfortunately hard to test
for in the regression test framework, though manual testing shows
it's fixed.

Although this is a pre-existing bug, I'm not back-patching because
I'd like to see this method get some field testing first. Consider
back-patching if it gets through 8.4beta unscathed.

* doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml, src/bin/psql/describe.c: Remove
psql's ancient hack that suppressed functions taking or returning
cstring from the output of \df. Now that the default behavior is
to exclude all system functions, the de-cluttering rationale for
this behavior seems pretty weak; and it was always quite
confusing/unhelpful if you were actually looking for I/O functions.
(Not to mention if you were looking for encoding converters or
other cases that might take or return cstring.)

* src/: backend/utils/adt/numeric.c,
test/regress/expected/numeric.out: Allow leading and trailing
spaces around NaN in numeric_in.

Sam Mason, rewritten a bit by Tom.

* src/: backend/executor/execQual.c, backend/utils/adt/xml.c,
include/nodes/execnodes.h, test/regress/expected/xml.out,
test/regress/expected/xml_1.out, test/regress/sql/xml.sql:
XMLATTRIBUTES() should send the attribute values through
map_sql_value_to_xml_value() instead of directly through the data
type output function. This is per SQL standard, and consistent
with XMLELEMENT().

* src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_dump.c, pg_dumpall.c: Quote string literals
correctly in the new CREATE SERVER statements and binary upgrade
UPDATE statements.

* src/backend/utils/init/postinit.c: Oops, mustn't call
textdomain() when compiling without --enable-nls

* src/: backend/utils/init/miscinit.c,
backend/utils/init/postinit.c, backend/utils/mb/mbutils.c,
include/mb/pg_wchar.h: Tell gettext which codeset to use by calling
bind_textdomain_codeset(). We already did that on Windows, but it's
needed on other platforms too when LC_CTYPE=C. With other locales,
we enforce (or trust) that the codeset of the locale matches the
server encoding so we don't need to bind it explicitly. It should
do no harm in that case either, but I don't have full faith in the
PG encoding -> OS codeset mapping table yet. Per recent discussion
on pgsql-hackers.

* src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c: Improve tab completion for \ef.

Andrew Gierth

* src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c: Revert addition of units to GUC
descriptions; doesn't affect postgresql.conf.

* configure, configure.in: Disable effective_io_concurrency on
Solaris because posix_fadvise() is no-op on that platform.

* src/backend/utils/misc/: guc.c, postgresql.conf.sample: More GUC
units doc updates.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Add attribution for:

Add Japanese message translations (Japan PostgreSQL Users
Group)

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Add release note item:

Add Japanese message translations

* doc/: FAQ, FAQ_DEV: Remove FAQ and FAQ_DEV ASCII and HTML files
from CVS; now on the wiki.

Per-language files kept for transator usage.

* src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm: Support Perl 5.10 and TCL 8.5 in
MSVC builds.

We should probably have a better way to do this (meaning something
not hardcoded) eventually, but this fixes the problem for 8.4.

Dave Page

* contrib/pg_freespacemap/: pg_freespacemap.c (REL8_3_STABLE),
pg_freespacemap.c (REL8_2_STABLE): Fix contrib/pg_freespacemap's
underestimate of the number of pages it could find in the FSM. Per
report from Dimitri Fontaine and Andrew Gierth.

(Affects only 8.2 and 8.3 since HEAD no longer has MaxFSMPages at
all.)

* contrib/pg_freespacemap/pg_freespacemap.c: Remove useless
(leftover?) extern declaration.

* src/backend/access/gist/gist.c (REL7_4_STABLE): Fix 'all at one
page bug' in picksplit method of R-tree emulation. Add defense from
buggy user-defined picksplit to GiST.

* src/backend/access/gist/: gistproc.c, gistutil.c (REL8_1_STABLE),
gist.c (REL8_0_STABLE): Fix 'all at one page bug' in picksplit
method of R-tree emulation. Add defense from buggy user-defined
picksplit to GiST.

* contrib/fuzzystrmatch/: fuzzystrmatch.h (REL7_4_STABLE),
fuzzystrmatch.h (REL8_1_STABLE), fuzzystrmatch.h (REL8_3_STABLE),
fuzzystrmatch.h (REL8_0_STABLE), fuzzystrmatch.h (REL8_2_STABLE),
fuzzystrmatch.c: Defend against non-ASCII letters in fuzzystrmatch
code. The functions still don't behave very sanely for multibyte
encodings, but at least they won't be indexing off the ends of
static arrays.

* doc/src/sgml/trigger.sgml: Add doc link to section about how to
compile triggers.

* doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml, doc/src/sgml/func.sgml,
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c,
src/backend/catalog/system_views.sql,
src/include/catalog/catversion.h, src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h:
Add an optional parameter to pg_start_backup() that specifies
whether to do the checkpoint in immediate or lazy mode. This is to
address complaints that pg_start_backup() takes a long time even
when there's no need to minimize its I/O consumption.

* src/backend/utils/misc/: guc.c, postgresql.conf.sample: Add unit
documentation for various postgresql.conf settings.

* src/backend/utils/mb/mbutils.c: Add entry in the encoding number
to OS name table for KOI8-U.

* src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample: Properly align
equals signs in new postgresql.conf units comments.

* src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample: Document in
postgresql.conf that the default units for
log_min_duration_statement is milliseconds.

* src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample: Display
postgresql.conf unit options in an easier-to-understand, 2-column
format.

* doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml: Doc change in new patch,
stand-alone -> standalone

* doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml: Add documentation mention of
'check_postgres.pl' in Routine Database Maintenance Tasks section.

* src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c: Adjust psql tab completion for new
\d 'S' flag behavior; adjust code to be more flexible about
additional modifiers for \d commands.

* doc/src/sgml/fuzzystrmatch.sgml: Document the fact that
fuzzystrmatch doesn't work in multibyte encodings.

* doc/src/sgml/keywords.sgml: Correct keywords table for status of
COLLATE vs LC_COLLATE.

* src/backend/access/gist/: gistproc.c, gistsplit.c
(REL8_2_STABLE): Fix 'all at one page bug' in picksplit method of
R-tree emulation. Add defense from buggy user-defined picksplit to
GiST.

* src/backend/access/gist/: gistproc.c, gistsplit.c
(REL8_3_STABLE): Fix 'all at one page bug' in picksplit method of
R-tree emulation. Add defense from buggy user-defined picksplit to
GiST.

* src/backend/access/gist/: gistproc.c, gistsplit.c: Fix 'all at
one page bug' in picksplit method of R-tree emulation. Add defense
from buggy user-defined picksplit to GiST.

* doc/src/sgml/charset.sgml, doc/src/sgml/keywords.sgml,
doc/src/sgml/ref/create_database.sgml,
src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c, src/backend/parser/gram.y,
src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c, src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dumpall.c,
src/bin/scripts/createdb.c, src/include/parser/kwlist.h,
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/ecpg.trailer: Rename the new CREATE
DATABASE options to set collation and ctype into LC_COLLATE and
LC_CTYPE, per discussion on pgsql-hackers.

* src/: backend/utils/adt/arrayfuncs.c,
include/catalog/catversion.h, include/catalog/pg_proc.h,
include/utils/array.h: Change cardinality() into a C-code function,
instead of a SQL-language alias for array_length(v,1). The
efficiency gain here is doubtless negligible --- what I'm
interested in is making sure that if we have second thoughts about
the definition, we will not have to force a post-beta initdb to
change the implementation.

* src/backend/executor/execQual.c: Make ExecInitExpr build the list
of SubPlans found in a plan tree in order of discovery, rather than
reverse order. This doesn't matter functionally (I suppose the
previous coding dates from the time when lcons was markedly cheaper
than lappend). However now that EXPLAIN is labeling subplans with
IDs that are based on order of creation, this may help produce a
slightly less surprising printout.

* src/: backend/commands/explain.c, backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c,
backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c, backend/nodes/outfuncs.c,
backend/optimizer/plan/subselect.c, backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c,
include/nodes/primnodes.h: Change EXPLAIN output so that subplans
and initplans (particularly CTEs) are individually labeled, rather
than just grouped under an "InitPlan" or "SubPlan" heading. This
in turn makes it possible for decompilation of a subplan reference
to usefully identify which subplan it's referencing. I also made
InitPlans identify which parameter symbol(s) they compute, so that
references to those parameters elsewhere in the plan tree can be
connected to the initplan that will be executed. Per a gripe from
Robert Haas about EXPLAIN output of a WITH query being inadequate,
plus some longstanding pet peeves of my own.

* src/backend/access/gin/: ginget.c, ginscan.c: Fix infinite loop
while checking of partial match in pending list. Improve comments.
Now GIN-indexable operators should be strict. Per Tom's
questions/suggestions.

* src/: backend/postmaster/postmaster.c, bin/initdb/initdb.c,
bin/pg_ctl/pg_ctl.c, bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c,
bin/pg_dump/pg_dumpall.c, bin/pg_dump/pg_restore.c,
bin/psql/startup.c, bin/scripts/common.c, bin/scripts/common.h,
include/getopt_long.h, port/getopt_long.c: Remove a boatload of
useless definitions of 'int optreset'. If we are using our own
ports of getopt or getopt_long, those will define the variable for
themselves; and if not, we don't need these, because we never touch
the variable anyway.

* src/include/pg_config.h.win32: I had always wondered why
pg_config.h.win32 claimed that Windows provides optreset. Current
mastodon results prove that in fact it does not; it was only
because getopt.c defined the variable anyway that things failed to
fall over.

* contrib/intarray/_int.sql.in,
contrib/intarray/uninstall__int.sql, doc/src/sgml/intarray.sgml:
Remove contrib/intarray's definitions of the <@ and @> operators,
so that they don't cause confusion with the built-in anyarray
versions of those operators. Adjust the module's index opclasses
to support the built-in operators in place of the private ones.

The private implementations are still available under their
historical names @ and ~, so no functionality is lost. Some quick
testing suggests that they offer no real benefit over the core
operators, however.

Per a complaint from Rusty Conover.

* src/port/getopt.c: Hmm, baiji thinks we need explicit 'extern'
here.

* configure, configure.in, src/include/pg_config.h.in,
src/port/getopt.c: Make an attempt at fixing our current Solaris 11
breakage: add a configure probe for opterr (exactly like the one
for optreset) and have getopt.c define the variables only if
configure doesn't find them in libc.

* src/: backend/access/common/reloptions.c,
backend/commands/define.c, backend/commands/foreigncmds.c,
backend/commands/sequence.c, backend/commands/typecmds.c,
backend/commands/view.c, backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c,
backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c, backend/nodes/makefuncs.c,
backend/nodes/outfuncs.c, backend/parser/gram.y,
backend/parser/parse_clause.c, include/commands/defrem.h,
include/foreign/foreign.h, include/nodes/makefuncs.h,
include/nodes/nodes.h, include/nodes/parsenodes.h: Remove the
recently added node types ReloptElem and OptionDefElem in favor of
adding optional namespace and action fields to DefElem. Having
three node types that do essentially the same thing bloats the code
and leads to errors of confusion, such as in yesterday's bug report
from Khee Chin.

* src/: backend/commands/indexcmds.c,
backend/storage/ipc/procarray.c, include/storage/lock.h,
include/storage/procarray.h: A session that does not have any live
snapshots does not have to be waited for when we are waiting for
old snapshots to go away during a concurrent index build. In
particular, this rule lets us avoid waiting for idle-in-transaction
sessions.

This logic could be improved further if we had some way to wake up
when the session we are currently waiting for goes
idle-in-transaction. However that would be a significantly more
complex/invasive patch, so it'll have to wait for some other day.

Simon Riggs, with some improvements by Tom.

* src/: backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,
test/regress/expected/interval.out, test/regress/sql/interval.sql
(REL7_4_STABLE), backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,
test/regress/expected/interval.out, test/regress/sql/interval.sql
(REL8_1_STABLE), backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,
test/regress/expected/interval.out, test/regress/sql/interval.sql
(REL8_3_STABLE), backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,
test/regress/expected/interval.out, test/regress/sql/interval.sql
(REL8_0_STABLE), backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,
test/regress/expected/interval.out, test/regress/sql/interval.sql
(REL8_2_STABLE), backend/utils/adt/timestamp.c,
test/regress/expected/interval.out, test/regress/sql/interval.sql:
Rewrite interval_hash() so that the hashcodes are equal for values
that interval_eq() considers equal. I'm not sure how that
fundamental requirement escaped us through multiple revisions of
this hash function, but there it is; it's been wrong since
interval_hash was first written for PG 7.1. Per bug #4748 from
Roman Kononov.

Backpatch to all supported releases.

This patch changes the contents of hash indexes for interval
columns. That's no particular problem for PG 8.4, since we've
broken on-disk compatibility of hash indexes already; but it will
require a migration warning note in the next minor releases of all
existing branches: "if you have any hash indexes on columns of type
interval, REINDEX them after updating".

* src/: backend/access/common/reloptions.c,
include/access/reloptions.h: Disallow setting fillfactor for TOAST
tables.

To implement this without almost duplicating the reloption table,
treat relopt_kind as a bitmask instead of an integer value. This
decreases the range of allowed values, but it's not clear that
there's need for that much values anyway.

This patch also makes heap_reloptions explicitly a no-op for
relation kinds other than heap and TOAST tables.

Patch by ITAGAKI Takahiro with minor edits from me. (In particular
I removed the bit about adding relation kind to an error message,
which I intend to commit separately.)

* src/bin/psql/describe.c: Improve obsolete comment.

* src/bin/psql/describe.c: Make \dt \di and friends more consistent
about the treatment of TOAST tables and indexes; to wit, never show
either. (You can examine them with plain \d if you're really so
inclined.)

* doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml: Minor wordsmithing on
descriptions of some \d commands.

* src/bin/psql/help.c: Add missing help output for \ef option.
Andrew Gierth

* src/port/: path.c (REL8_3_STABLE), path.c (REL8_2_STABLE),
path.c: Use (unsigned char) cast in argument of pg_tolower().
Maybe it works on Windows without that, but we shouldn't put bad
examples where people might copy them. Also, reformat slightly to
improve the odds that pgindent won't go nuts on this.

* src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c: Add a comment documenting
the question of whether PrefetchBuffer should try to protect an
already-existing buffer from being evicted. This was left as an
open issue when the posix_fadvise patch was committed. I'm not
sure there's any evidence to justify more work in this area, but we
should have some record about it in the source code.

* src/pl/plpython/: plpython.c, expected/plpython_function.out,
expected/plpython_test.out, sql/plpython_function.sql,
sql/plpython_test.sql: Defend against possible crash if a plpython
function does not specify names for its arguments. Also add a
regression test, since someone apparently changed every single
plpython test case to use only named parameters; else we'd have
noticed this sooner.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira, per a report from Alvaro

* src/port/: path.c (REL8_3_STABLE), path.c (REL8_2_STABLE),
path.c: Make directory name comparisons on Win32 case insensitive.

This method will not catch all different ways since the locale
handling in NTFS doesn't provide an easy way to do that, but it
will hopefully solve the most common cases causing startup problems
when the backend is found in the system PATH.

Attempts to fix bug #4694.

* doc/src/sgml/config.sgml: Document that Solaris can't use
effective_io_concurrency because of an ineffective posix_fadvise().

* src/: backend/executor/execQual.c, backend/executor/execUtils.c,
include/nodes/execnodes.h: Refactor ExecProject and associated
routines so that fast-path code is used for simple Var targetlist
entries all the time, even when there are other entries that are
not simple Vars. Also, ensure that we prefetch attributes (with
slot_getsomeattrs) for all Vars in the targetlist, even those
buried within expressions. In combination these changes seem to
significantly reduce the runtime for cases where tlists are mostly
but not exclusively Vars. Per my proposal of yesterday.

* src/backend/: access/transam/slru.c, executor/execScan.c,
executor/nodeAgg.c, executor/nodeGroup.c, executor/nodeHash.c,
executor/nodeHashjoin.c, executor/nodeLimit.c,
executor/nodeMaterial.c, executor/nodeMergejoin.c,
executor/nodeNestloop.c, executor/nodeSetOp.c, executor/nodeSort.c,
executor/nodeSubplan.c, executor/nodeUnique.c, utils/probes.d:
Revert DTrace patch from Robert Lor

* src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c: Minor code
beautification/consolidation.

* src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c: Give a better error message when
trying to change "effective_io_concurrency" on systems without
posix_fadvise().

* doc/src/sgml/plpgsql.sgml, src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c: Have
PL/pgSQL FETCH set DIAGNOSTICS ROW_COUNT.

Andrew Gierth

* src/backend/: access/transam/slru.c, executor/execScan.c,
executor/nodeAgg.c, executor/nodeGroup.c, executor/nodeHash.c,
executor/nodeHashjoin.c, executor/nodeLimit.c,
executor/nodeMaterial.c, executor/nodeMergejoin.c,
executor/nodeNestloop.c, executor/nodeSetOp.c, executor/nodeSort.c,
executor/nodeSubplan.c, executor/nodeUnique.c, utils/probes.d: Add
support for additional DTrace probes.

Robert Lor

* contrib/hstore/hstore_io.c (REL8_2_STABLE): Fix memory allocation
for output of hstore type. Per "maosen.zhang"
<maosen(dot)zhang(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com> report.

* contrib/hstore/: hstore_io.c (REL8_3_STABLE), hstore_io.c: Fix
memory allocation for output of hstore type. Per "maosen.zhang"
<maosen(dot)zhang(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com> report.

* src/bin/psql/describe.c: Do not show information_schema in \d*
commands, unless 'S' or pattern is specified.

Martin Pihlak

* src/: backend/utils/mb/mbutils.c, include/mb/pg_wchar.h: Fix
SetClientEncoding() to maintain a cache of previously selected
encoding conversion functions. This allows transaction rollback to
revert to a previous client_encoding setting without doing fresh
catalog lookups. I believe that this explains and fixes the recent
report of "failed to commit client_encoding" failures.

This bug is present in 8.3.x, but it doesn't seem prudent to
back-patch the fix, at least not till it's had some time for field
testing in HEAD.

In passing, remove SetDefaultClientEncoding(), which was used
nowhere.

* doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml, src/bin/psql/describe.c: Change
psql \d* display so 'S' _or_ a pattern include system objects.

* src/backend/utils/misc/: guc.c (REL8_3_STABLE), guc.c: Fix GUC's
reports of assign_hook failure to always include the parameter
value we failed to assign, even in "can't happen" cases. Motivated
by wondering what's going on in a recent trouble report where
"failed to commit" did happen.

* src/pl/plpgsql/src/: pl_exec.c (REL8_3_STABLE), pl_exec.c
(REL8_2_STABLE), pl_exec.c: plpgsql's exec_simple_cast_value()
mistakenly supposed that it could bypass casting effort whenever
the input value was NULL. However this prevents application of
not-null domain constraints in the cases that use this function, as
illustrated in bug #4741. Since this function isn't meant for use
in performance-critical paths anyway, this certainly seems like
another case of "premature optimization is the root of all evil".

Back-patch as far as 8.2; older versions made no effort to enforce
domain constraints here anyway.

* src/bin/pg_dump/: pg_dump.c (REL8_3_STABLE), pg_dump.c: Improve
pg_dump's query for retrieving BLOB comments to be more efficient
when there are many blobs and not so many comments. Tamas Vincze

* src/backend/utils/adt/pg_locale.c: Update comment to reflect that
LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are now per-database settings.

* doc/src/sgml/func.sgml: Index some array functions, per Mario
Splivalo.

* src/backend/libpq/: auth.c, pg_hba.conf.sample: Remove last
references to the crypt auth method, per Andreas Scherbaum.

* contrib/: pgstattuple/pgstattuple.c (REL7_4_STABLE),
pgstattuple/pgstattuple.c (REL8_1_STABLE),
pageinspect/btreefuncs.c, pageinspect/rawpage.c,
pgstattuple/pgstatindex.c, pgstattuple/pgstattuple.c
(REL8_3_STABLE), pgstattuple/pgstattuple.c (REL8_0_STABLE),
pgstattuple/pgstatindex.c, pgstattuple/pgstattuple.c
(REL8_2_STABLE), pageinspect/btreefuncs.c, pageinspect/rawpage.c,
pgstattuple/pgstatindex.c, pgstattuple/pgstattuple.c: Fix
contrib/pgstattuple and contrib/pageinspect to prevent attempts to
read temporary tables of other sessions; that is unsafe because of
the way our buffer management works. Per report from Stuart
Bishop. This is redundant with the bufmgr.c checks in HEAD, but
not at all redundant in the back branches.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Remove some "Other" sections in the
release notes by putting the items at the top of their sections.

* src/: backend/catalog/index.c, backend/catalog/namespace.c,
backend/catalog/toasting.c, backend/commands/analyze.c,
backend/commands/cluster.c, backend/commands/copy.c,
backend/commands/indexcmds.c, backend/commands/tablecmds.c,
backend/commands/vacuum.c, backend/optimizer/prep/prepunion.c,
backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c, backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c,
backend/utils/cache/relcache.c, include/utils/rel.h: Modify the
relcache to record the temp status of both local and nonlocal temp
relations; this is no more expensive than before, now that we have
pg_class.relistemp. Insert tests into bufmgr.c to prevent
attempting to fetch pages from nonlocal temp relations. This
provides a low-level defense against bugs-of-omission allowing temp
pages to be loaded into shared buffers, as in the
contrib/pgstattuple problem reported by Stuart Bishop. While at
it, tweak a bunch of places to use new relcache tests (instead of
expensive probes into pg_namespace) to detect local or nonlocal
temp tables.

* src/bin/initdb/: initdb.c (REL8_1_STABLE), initdb.c
(REL8_3_STABLE), initdb.c (REL8_0_STABLE), initdb.c
(REL8_2_STABLE), initdb.c: Don't crash initdb when we fail to get
the current username. Give an error message and exit instead, like
we do elsewhere...

Per report from Wez Furlong and Robert Treat.

* doc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml, src/backend/catalog/heap.c,
src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c,
src/include/catalog/catversion.h,
src/include/catalog/pg_attribute.h, src/include/catalog/pg_class.h:
Add a "relistemp" boolean column to pg_class, which is true for
temporary relations (including a temp table's indexes and toast
table/index), and false for normal relations. For ease of
checking, this commit just adds the column and fills it correctly
--- revising the relation access machinery to use it will come
separately.

* src/backend/storage/ipc/: procarray.c (REL8_1_STABLE),
procarray.c (REL8_3_STABLE), procarray.c (REL8_2_STABLE),
procarray.c: Fix a rare race condition when commit_siblings > 0 and
a transaction commits at the same instant as a new backend is
spawned. Since CountActiveBackends() doesn't hold ProcArrayLock, it
needs to be prepared for the case that a pointer at the end of the
proc array is still NULL even though numProcs says it should be
valid, since it doesn't hold ProcArrayLock. Backpatch to 8.1. 8.0
and earlier had this right, but it was broken in the split of
PGPROC and sinval shared memory arrays.

Per report and proposal by Marko Kreen.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Update release note introductory
description.

* doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml, src/interfaces/libpq/exports.txt,
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure.c, src/interfaces/libpq/libpq-fe.h:
Add PQinitOpenSSL() function to support applications that use
libcrypto but not OpenSSL (or perhaps vice versa, if that's
possible).

Andrew Chernow, with minor editorialization by me.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: More new subsections in release notes.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: More release note changes, including a
lower level of subsections.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: More release note adjustments,
reordering.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: More release note wording
improvements; section order adjustments.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Reorder release note sections.

* src/backend/optimizer/plan/planner.c: Fix window function plan
generation to cope with volatile sort expressions. (Not clear how
useful these really are, but failing is no good...) Per report from
David Fetter and Robert Treat.

* doc/src/sgml/: plpython.sgml (REL8_3_STABLE), plpython.sgml:
Update URL to Python bug tracker. Backpatch to 8.3; doesn't seem
worthy of further backpatch.

* src/: backend/access/common/heaptuple.c,
backend/executor/execTuples.c, include/executor/tuptable.h,
test/regress/expected/rangefuncs.out,
test/regress/sql/rangefuncs.sql (REL8_3_STABLE),
backend/access/common/heaptuple.c, backend/executor/execTuples.c,
include/executor/tuptable.h, test/regress/expected/rangefuncs.out,
test/regress/sql/rangefuncs.sql (REL8_2_STABLE),
backend/access/common/heaptuple.c, backend/executor/execTuples.c,
include/executor/tuptable.h, test/regress/expected/rangefuncs.out,
test/regress/expected/with.out, test/regress/sql/rangefuncs.sql,
test/regress/sql/with.sql: Fix an oversight in the support for
storing/retrieving "minimal tuples" in TupleTableSlots. We have
functions for retrieving a minimal tuple from a slot after storing
a regular tuple in it, or vice versa; but these were implemented by
converting the internal storage from one format to the other. The
problem with that is it invalidates any pass-by-reference Datums
that were already fetched from the slot, since they'll be pointing
into the just-freed version of the tuple. The known problem cases
involve fetching both a whole-row variable and a pass-by-reference
value from a slot that is fed from a tuplestore or tuplesort
object. The added regression tests illustrate some simple cases,
but there may be other failure scenarios traceable to the same bug.
Note that the added tests probably only fail on unpatched code if
it's built with --enable-cassert; otherwise the bug leads to
fetching from freed memory, which will not have been overwritten
without additional conditions.

Fix by allowing a slot to contain both formats simultaneously;
which turns out not to complicate the logic much at all, if
anything it seems less contorted than before.

Back-patch to 8.2, where minimal tuples were introduced.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: More release note markup.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: More release note markup.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Add SGML markup for
commands/literal/application/etc in release notes; still more work
to do.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Consistent 8.4 release note naming for
Itagaki Takahiro

* src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure.c: Clarify variable naming:
pq_initssllib -> pq_init_ssl_lib

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Update release notes to say citext is
multi-byte aware, per suggestion from patch author:

Add /contrib/citext as a case-insensitive, multibyte-capable
text data type (David Wheeler)

* doc/src/sgml/ref/: alter_role.sgml, set_role.sgml: Better
document that SET ROLE does not uset ALTER ROLE SET settings;
suggested wording from Josh Berkus.

* doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml, src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure.c: Better
document PQinitSSL(0) behavior in regards to libcrypto.

* doc/src/sgml/monitoring.sgml: Add documentation of the fact that
dtrace probes evaluate their parameters even when not active.
Explain how to prevent that with an ENABLED() check.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Document in release notes that NOT IN
is only for NOT EXIST clauses.

Andrew Gierth

* configure, configure.in: On Solaris, we should only force use of
our own getopt(); it's okay to use the system's getopt_long(). The
previous coding was the result of a sloppy discussion that failed
to draw this distinction. The result was that PG programs don't
handle options as users of that platform expect. Per gripe from
Chuck McDevitt.

Although this is a pre-existing bug, I'm not backpatching since I
think we could do with a bit of beta testing before concluding this
is really OK.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Fix markup, per Devrim

* src/backend/utils/adt/xml.c: Add an errdetail explaining why we
reject infinite dates and timestamps while converting to XML.
Bernd Helmle

* src/: backend/executor/execQual.c, backend/executor/functions.c,
backend/executor/nodeCtescan.c,
backend/executor/nodeFunctionscan.c,
backend/executor/nodeMaterial.c, backend/executor/nodeWindowAgg.c,
backend/executor/nodeWorktablescan.c, backend/tcop/pquery.c,
backend/utils/sort/tuplestore.c, include/utils/tuplestore.h: Fix
possible failures when a tuplestore switches from in-memory to
on-disk mode while callers hold pointers to in-memory tuples. I
reported this for the case of nodeWindowAgg's primary scan tuple,
but inspection of the code shows that all of the calls in
nodeWindowAgg and nodeCtescan are at risk. For the moment, fix it
with a rather brute-force approach of copying whenever one of the
at-risk callers requests a tuple. Later we might think of some
sort of reference-count approach to reduce tuple copying.

* src/backend/catalog/index.c: Teach reindex_index() to clear
pg_index.indcheckxmin when possible. Greg Stark, slightly modified
by me.

* src/bin/psql/: tab-complete.c (REL8_1_STABLE), tab-complete.c
(REL8_3_STABLE), tab-complete.c (REL8_2_STABLE), tab-complete.c:
Fix tab completion of ANALYZE VERBOSE <tab>. It was previously
confused with EXPLAIN ANALYZE VERBOSE.

Greg Sabino Mullane, reformatted by myself. Backpatch to 8.1, where
the bug was introduced.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Clearify new SSL certificate
verification in libpq

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Fix release notes about pg_hba changes

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Updated release wording, per Greg
Stark:

Previously EXPLAIN VERBOSE had output an internal
representation of the

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Second batch of release note fixes by
Guillaume Smet

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Mark Greg as the instigator of the
statistics target increase:

Increase the default value of default_statistics_target from
(Greg Sabino Mullane, Tom)

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: First round of release note changes
from Guillaume Smet.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Fix release note attribution:

Support the IS0 8601 time interval syntax (Tom, Kevin
Grittner)

per Ron Mayer

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Improved release notes interval
wording:

Made interval seconds rounding more consistent across output
formats (Ron Mayer)

Ron Mayer

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Remove duplicate interval (fractional
seconds) items; Ron Mayer

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Document that Datestyle no longer
controls interval output, per suggestion from Ron Mayer

* contrib/pg_standby/: pg_standby.c (REL8_3_STABLE), pg_standby.c:
Make pg_standby's maxretries option do what one would expect.
Fujii Masao

* src/: backend/catalog/dependency.c, backend/catalog/pg_proc.c,
backend/catalog/pg_shdepend.c, backend/executor/execQual.c,
backend/parser/parse_func.c, backend/postmaster/bgwriter.c,
bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c, bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_tar.c,
bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c, bin/psql/describe.c, bin/psql/print.c,
include/c.h, interfaces/ecpg/preproc/variable.c,
pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c, pl/plpython/plpython.c: Gettext plural
support

In the backend, I changed only a handful of exemplary or
important-looking instances to make use of the plural support;
there is probably more work there. For the rest of the source,
this should cover all relevant cases.

* doc/src/sgml/: charset.sgml, config.sgml: Fix a couple of places
that still claimed LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE can't be changed after
initdb.

* src/backend/commands/copy.c: Adjust phrasing of complaints about
multi-byte COPY delimiter strings. Per pgsql-hackers discussion of
2009-02-17.

* src/: backend/nodes/outfuncs.c,
backend/optimizer/path/costsize.c,
backend/optimizer/plan/createplan.c,
backend/optimizer/util/pathnode.c, include/nodes/relation.h: If we
expect a hash join to be performed in multiple batches, suppress
"physical tlist" optimization on the outer relation (ie, force a
projection step to occur in its scan). This avoids storing useless
column values when the outer relation's tuples are written to
temporary batch files.

Modified version of a patch by Michael Henderson and Ramon
Lawrence.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Correction: ansi-join ->anti-join.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Fix markup so that 'make HISTORY'
works. A couple very minor editorial improvements.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Reorder 8.4 release note sections.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Re-add release notes for release
8.3.7.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Adjust AS OF release notes markup.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: Mention release note items current as
of 2009-03-16.

* doc/src/sgml/release.sgml: First version of 8.4 release notes;
markup/cleanup/reorganization still required.