Re: Patch queue -> wiki

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch queue -> wiki
Date: 2008-04-05 02:19:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
>> Basically a Wiki takes 10x more time for me to modify something, so
>> unless I get another 9 people to do the same amount of work I do on
>> tracking, we are going to fall behind. I am not willing to increase the
>> amount of time I already spend doing this. Perhaps distributed over the
>> community there will be 9x more time spent on tracking, but I doubt it.

> On a busy day we might get 5 patches submitted or updated. That's five lines
> of text to add or edit.

I think what Bruce is really complaining about here is that he's got
years worth of development in his current infrastructure, and so it only
costs him a few seconds and keystrokes to push stuff into his existing
patch queue; while there's no such shortcuts for the wiki. Which is a
fair complaint, but it's hardly insoluble.

> The hard part is reading the email and figuring out
> what status the patch is in.

Certainly. What we've got to do is make sure that after someone has
made that decision, it doesn't cost them a couple of minutes of drudgery
to look up the appropriate email-archives URL and push it into the wiki
page (probably with a comment). I can't imagine that this is terribly
difficult, but web page scripting isn't one of my strengths ...