Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?
Date: 2004-04-02 14:40:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well that breaks other things. Then lots of functions have to become
> non-strict to work properly because they should have valid output when passed
> null values. Ick.
> I'm leaning towards suggesting that postgres should follow sql-99 here and
> normalize all array indexes to have a lower bound of 1.

That would break even more things, no?

On the other hand, it'd get rid of the problem that we presently face
with dump/restore of arrays that don't have lower bound 1. Because
pg_dump doesn't do anything to mark such values, they'll end up with
lower bound 1 after reload anyway. The fact that we haven't heard lots
of squawks about that suggests to me that not many people are using such
arrays at present ...