Re: PSQL error: total cell count of XXX exceeded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Hongxu Ma <interma(at)outlook(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQL error: total cell count of XXX exceeded
Date: 2023-09-12 04:19:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 02:39:55AM +0000, Hongxu Ma wrote:
> + long total_cells;

> long is 4 bytes on Windows, and 8 bytes basically elsewhere. So you
> would still have the same problem on Windows, no?

More to the point: what about the multiplication in printTableInit?
The cat's been out of the bag for quite some time before we get to
printTableAddCell.

I'm more than a bit skeptical about trying to do something about this,
simply because this range of query result sizes is far past what is
practical. The OP clearly hasn't tested his patch on actually
overflowing query results, and I don't care to either.