Re: branching for 9.2devel

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: branching for 9.2devel
Date: 2011-04-26 04:11:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> Oh, it just occurred to me that maybe you thought the whole thing
>> *including* indent would be reimplemented in perl. That was never my
>> intention, and is a much larger project than I had in mind.

> Oh, I thought that was what you were proposing too.

Yeah, me too. If it still depends on a patched BSD indent then it's not
clear to me how much portability/ease-of-installation we're really
buying. I thought what was being proposed was a pure Perl script.

> I was king of shocked that people would propose that so freely since
> it seemed like a huge project to me too. But then after thinking about
> it I wonder if it wouldn't be easier than it sounds.

I thought there were enough loose parsing bits out there on CPAN that
this wasn't an unreasonable proposition.