Re: Proposal: OUT parameters for plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: OUT parameters for plpgsql
Date: 2005-03-21 23:15:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Do other databases not allow you to specify a return value in addition to the
> OUT and INOUT parameters?

Oracle discourages OUT parameters in a function, so PL/SQL at least
shouldn't be a big source of cases where that's a problem.

> I would have expected the return value to be an extra column added to the
> record.

I'd prefer not to do that, because having a "return type" that's
different from the true return type of the function (ie the RECORD)
is going to cause untold amounts of confusion.