Re: index on timestamp performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Eric Cholet <cholet(at)logilune(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index on timestamp performance
Date: 2003-01-29 17:00:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Eric Cholet <cholet(at)logilune(dot)com> writes:
> Consequently would I gain performance if I changed the
> schema so that 'date' is an integer

No, you wouldn't, at least not enough to notice. (But if you only need
a date and not a time of day, consider changing the column type to
"date".)

I suspect the issue is selectivity of the queries, but with no actual
query examples or EXPLAIN ANALYZE results to look at, that's just idle
speculation.