Re: pitr question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pitr question
Date: 2010-10-13 15:53:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com> wrote:
>>> 'In any case the hardware architecture must be the same shipping from,
>>> say, a 32-bit to a 64-bit system will not work.'

>> Is this specific to the hardware? That is to say, can I use pitr wal
>> shipping from 64 bit hardware to 64 bit hardware, where one machine is
>> running a 32 bit OS and the other is running a 64 bit OS?

> It applies to the OS. The OS determines the sizes of integers,
> padding alignment, etc. Running 32-bit OS on an amd64 class processor
> is the same as running it on a x86 class processor. Other processors
> (such as PowerPC) may behave differently, I don't know.

It's not really the OS but the build of Postgres. Most 64-bit OSes are
perfectly capable of running 32-bit executables. You can ship WAL from
one machine running a 32-bit Postgres executable to another one running
a 32-bit executable (of the same hardware architecture), regardless of
whether the hardware or the OS is 64-bit-capable on either end. But you
can't ship WAL between 32-bit and 64-bit executables.