Re: Some questions about the NetWare Port - please comment

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ulrich Neumann" <U_Neumann(at)gne(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some questions about the NetWare Port - please comment
Date: 2002-11-01 17:36:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ulrich Neumann" <U_Neumann(at)gne(dot)de> writes:
> - 3 of the 8 mentioned sourcefiles are files that are heavily changed
> for NetWare and I don't want to change the original files in this
> case. I think it's better to have a copy of these files in the NetWare
> folder. This gives me the chance to use some special features of the
> NetWare platform without confusing people working on other
> platforms. These files are postmaster.c, pgstat.c and postgres.c.

Having port-specific copies of those files strikes me as a maintenance
nightmare. They change constantly (at least postgres.c and postmaster.c
do).

Why exactly do you need heavy changes in these files?

We could consider breaking down these files into smaller pieces in order
to isolate platform dependencies, perhaps.