Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output
Date: 2002-03-10 16:52:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> How about?

> EXPLAIN select * from pg_class;
> EXPLAIN VERBOSE select * from pg_class;
> EXPLAIN VERBOSE 1 select * from pg_class;
> EXPLAIN VERBOSE 5 select * from pg_class;

Seems kinda ugly. But maybe same idea with repeated VERBOSE,
a la some Unix commands ("more -v's get you more detail"):

EXPLAIN [ANALYZE] [VERBOSE] [ VERBOSE ... ] statement;

I'd sugggest

EXPLAIN select * from pg_class;

Default output: same as now

EXPLAIN VERBOSE select * from pg_class;

Add prettyprinted qual clauses

EXPLAIN VERBOSE VERBOSE select * from pg_class;

Add full plan-tree dump

and there's room for expansion if we need it.

There's still the question of how to format the plan-tree dump.
I still rather like a GUC variable for that choice, since it seems
to be a personal preference that's unlikely to change from one
command to the next.