Re: Psql 7.2.1 Regress tests failed on RedHat 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Psql 7.2.1 Regress tests failed on RedHat 7.3
Date: 2002-05-23 22:51:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle) writes:
> I think it's unfair to blame glibc. At least until some other standard
> comes into existence that makes glibc's implementation invalid.

Nonsense. Are you saying it's a mistake that the Linux timezone
databases (and those of most every other Unix, other than maybe AIX)
cover pre-1970 years? The folks who took the trouble to develop
those databases did not think that Unix time began on 1970-01-01.

The glibc guys have decided that they will hew to the letter of a
lowest-common-denominator standard by removing functionality,
namely the ability to do anything with pre-1970 dates.

Since they evidently value a narrow reading of a spec over
functionality, I cannot debate with them. But I think it's a seriously
misguided position. glibc will join AIX as one of only two libc's on
the planet that do not have this functionality. Meanwhile, the Postgres
project will be wasting manpower on reinventing a wheel we shouldn't
have to reinvent.