Re: Block B-Tree concept

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block B-Tree concept
Date: 2006-09-26 16:43:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Also, now that we have concurrent CREATE INDEX, we could implement
> concurrent REINDEX as well, I believe.

That's probably more easily said than done --- in particular, I don't
understand what the committed state after the first transaction would
look like. CREATE INDEX can get away with it because nothing need be
depending on the new index, but you can't say that for an existing index
(esp. if it's UNIQUE).