Re: Error compiling PostgreSQL 7.4 for Fedora Core 1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error compiling PostgreSQL 7.4 for Fedora Core 1
Date: 2003-12-09 05:33:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs

Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net> writes:
> On Sunday 07 December 2003 12:48 am, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmmm ... this is evidently a variant of ye olde "Gen_fmgrtab.sh script
>> failed" problem,

> So far, this is what I have. I'm attaching fmgroids.h and fmgrtab.c ( I kno=
> w=20
> these are fairly sizable...)

That's really bizarre. For awhile I thought you might have fmgroids.h
and fmgrtab.c generated from some pre-7.4-release version of pg_proc.h,
but that theory doesn't seem to hold water --- for instance your files
include box_send() but not box_recv(), which were added in the same
commit. I don't see a pattern to the functions you are missing. Anyone
have a theory?

In the absence of any brilliant insight, I'd suggest slogging through
Gen_fmgrtab.sh to try to narrow down where functions are getting lost
--- add code to save the various intermediate files, and see what's in
'em. If we knew exactly which step was losing the functions it'd be a
leg up.

> Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the internals of awk and sed. If I=20
> were hired to fix this for my platform (Fedora Core 1), I would probably=20
> rewrite Gen_fmgrtab.sh in perl.

I can't see that as a plausible answer. With all due respect to Perl,
it's neither more portable nor more bug-free than awk/sed.

> The only other option I see is to distribute the pre-generated fmgroids.h
> and fmgrtab.c with the distribution.

We could fall back in that direction if we had to. But I'd like to
understand why we have to, first. Gen_fmgrtab.sh has worked on all our
supported platforms for a long time, and I'm disinclined to assume that
it's suddenly broken ... especially on what's presumably a modern
platform. I'm having a real problem with the idea that Fedora
incorporates a broken awk or sed.