Re: variadic function support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: variadic function support
Date: 2008-07-14 16:38:17
Lists: pgsql-patches

> I don't have a strong opinion, but allowing zero-argument variadic
> function calls -- and therefore causing foo(variadic int[]) and
> foo(variadic text[]) to conflict -- makes more sense than requiring one
> argument.

I hadn't even thought about that point, but the idea that those two
would conflict bothers me quite a lot. Not least because there's no
reasonable way to enforce it with the existing unique indexes on pg_proc.
I think you'd have to leave the variadic argument out of proargtypes
altogether, and that seems mad.