Re: tweak to a few index tests to hits ambuildempty() routine.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: a(dot)kozhemyakin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org
Subject: Re: tweak to a few index tests to hits ambuildempty() routine.
Date: 2022-09-25 14:49:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

a(dot)kozhemyakin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru writes:
> But my point is that after 4fb5c794e5 for most developer setups and
> buildfarm members, e.g.:
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=guaibasaurus&dt=2022-09-25%2001%3A01%3A13
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=tayra&dt=2022-09-24%2020%3A40%3A00
> the ginbulkdelete() most probably is not tested.
> In other words, it seems that we've just lost the effect of 4c51a2d1e4:
> Add a test case that exercises vacuum's deletion of empty GIN
> posting pages.

Yeah. You can see that the coverage-test animal is not reaching it
anymore:
https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/backend/access/gin/ginvacuum.c.gcov.html

So it seems clear that 4fb5c794e5 made at least some coverage worse
not better. I think we'd better rejigger it to add some new indexes
not repurpose old ones.