Re: Converting from single user w/pool to multiple users

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Amiel <jamiel(at)istreamimaging(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting from single user w/pool to multiple users
Date: 2005-03-24 15:59:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Amiel <jamiel(at)istreamimaging(dot)com> writes:
> Anyone see any issues with having thousands of postgresql users
> established? Are there any internal limits?

There's no hard limit. Offhand the only thing I can think of that might
be a bit slow is password lookup during connection --- I think that does
a linear scan through a list of usernames. This is only an issue if you
use passwords of course, but I suppose you probably would. (It would
likely not be hard to improve the search algorithm, if it did become
a bottleneck.)

> Under the new scheme, we are limited by max_connections
> (postgresql.conf)...and would return an error immediately when no
> connections were available. Is there any way to mitigate this?

This is doubtless the worst problem...