Re: Pgsql remote connection issue was: Regarding PostgreSQL problem.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Hapase, Pranjali" <Pranjali(dot)Hapase(dot)ext(at)geometricglobal(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgsql remote connection issue was: Regarding PostgreSQL problem.
Date: 2009-06-15 23:03:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Hapase,
> Pranjali<Pranjali(dot)Hapase(dot)ext(at)geometricglobal(dot)com> wrote:
>> But I am not able to connect to the PostgreSQL which is install on the
>> another machine.

> You need to edit two files to access pgsql remotely. postgresql.conf
> (listen_address) and pg_hba.conf (self documenting and sorta obvious).

You may also need to change the platform's firewall configuration to
let the connection through; or even poke holes in the firewall rules
of intervening routers. It's usually not that hard to diagnose the
cause from the specific error message you get. If you get one of
the ones shown here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/client-authentication-problems.html
then it's a pg_hba.conf configuration problem. If you get "connection
refused" then it's either a software firewall problem or listen_address
problem. If it just sits and times out after a couple minutes, the
packets are probably getting thrown away by some intervening router.