Re: Re: Re: [GENERAL] Named / preparsed / preplaned(prepared) queries - Feature proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [GENERAL] Named / preparsed / preplaned(prepared) queries - Feature proposal
Date: 2011-11-06 23:55:36
Lists: pgsql-general

John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> writes:
> generally, built in functionality in PostgreSQL closely follows existing
> SQL database standards and practices, I've not seen or heard of any such
> 'persistent named prepared statements' before in any database system, so
> I suspect the core developers aren't going to go anywhere with this
> suggestion, but of course, I can't speak for them.

There have been previous proposals for a shared plan cache, which is
somewhat close to what the OP is suggesting. The trouble with the idea
is that maintenance of the cache would be a mess, and contention for it
would take a big bite out of whatever performance improvement might be
hoped for. We do already have session-local plan caching; it's unclear
that it makes sense to go further than that.