Re: Our naming of wait events is a disaster.

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Our naming of wait events is a disaster.
Date: 2020-05-12 17:51:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 12 мая 2020 г., в 20:16, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> написал(а):
>
> Thoughts?

I've been coping with cognitive load of these names recently. 2 cents of my impressions:
1. Names are somewhat recognisable and seem to have some meaning. But there is not so much information about them in the Internet. But I did not try to Google them all, just a small subset.
2. Anyway, names should be grepable and googlable, i.e. unique amid identifiers.
3. I think names observed in wait_event and wait_event_type should not duplicate information. i.e. "XidGenLock" is already "LWLock".
4. It's hard to tell the difference between "buffer_content", "buffer_io", "buffer_mapping", "BufferPin", "BufFileRead", "BufFileWrite" and some others. "CLogControlLock" vs "clog"? I'm not sure good DBA can tell the difference without looking up into the code.
I hope some thoughts will be useful.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.