Re: Standard syntax?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Franz J Fortuny" <ffortuny(at)ivsol(dot)com>
Cc: "sqllist" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standard syntax?
Date: 2000-10-12 19:32:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Franz J Fortuny" <ffortuny(at)ivsol(dot)com> writes:
> I have been using (with success) this SQL statement in PostgreSQL:
> select col1,
> case when col2 = true then
> col3
> else
> col4
> end as colw,
> colM
> where .... etc.

> The above syntax, however, does not work for Interbase (6.01).

CASE expressions are specified in SQL92, but they're labeled as an
"intermediate SQL" feature rather than an "entry SQL" feature.
So I'm not surprised that some other DBMSes don't have them.

Entry SQL is a pretty impoverished subset (no VARCHAR type, to take
a random example), so nearly everyone implements at least some
intermediate- and full-SQL features. But exactly which ones is
highly variable.