Re: Specifying Rowtypes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Specifying Rowtypes
Date: 2003-01-29 16:45:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Curt Sampson wrote:
>> ...produces rows with nulls in them.

> That's a bug in pl/pgsql I believe.

Or a bug in the domain-constraints implementation. plpgsql just
executes the input function for the datatype --- which is the same as
the input function for the underlying type. There should probably be
some mechanism to make the input function for a domain type check the
domain's constraints.

[ thinks about it... ] We added code to COPY to check domain
constraints on top of calling the type's input function, but I wonder
whether that wasn't the wrong way to go. We'll have to hack everyplace
that calls an arbitrary input function, if we insist on that approach.