Re: Granting Browser Access to pgsql database.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Pgsql <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Granting Browser Access to pgsql database.
Date: 2000-11-16 04:44:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> * James Snelling <fatboy2000(at)btinternet(dot)com> [001115 14:09]:
>> However, I still get the line:
>> NOTICE: Unrecognized variable client_encoding

> The DB probably was built with --enable-multibyte set, but psql is
> finding a libpq that doesn't have it.

Other way round, actually: libpq is sending a SET command to set the
client-side multibyte encoding, and the backend doesn't know what to
do with it. It's harmless enough, as long as you aren't expecting
multibyte characters to work ;-)

For 7.1, I've tweaked the backend so that even without
--enable-multibyte, it will accept SET client_encoding = 'SQL_ASCII'
(but *not* any other value). This should eliminate unnecessary
notices when using clients compiled with a different feature set.