Re: Unicode combining characters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, phede-ml(at)islande(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode combining characters
Date: 2001-10-03 14:56:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> ... There seems some problems existing in the
> implementation. Considering REGEX is not so slow, maybe we should
> employ the same design as REGEX. i.e. using wide charcters, not
> multibyte streams...

Seems like a good thing to put on the to-do list. In the meantime,
we still have the question of whether to enable multibyte in the
default configuration. I'd still vote YES, as these results seem
to me to demonstrate that there is no wide-ranging performance penalty.
A problem confined to LIKE on long strings isn't a showstopper IMHO.