Re: Temporary file access API

From: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary file access API
Date: 2022-03-08 11:14:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> * Antonin Houska (ah(at)cybertec(dot)at) wrote:
> > Here I'm starting a new thread to discuss a topic that's related to the
> > Transparent Data Encryption (TDE), but could be useful even without that. The
> > problem has been addressed somehow in the Cybertec TDE fork, and I can post
> > the code here if it helps. However, after reading [1] (and the posts
> > upthread), I've got another idea, so let's try to discuss it first.
>
> Yeah, I tend to agree that it makes sense to discuss the general idea of
> doing buffered I/O for the temporary files that are being created today
> with things like fwrite and have that be independent of encryption. As
> mentioned on that thread, doing our own buffering and having file
> accesses done the same way throughout the system is just generally a
> good thing and focusing on that will certainly help with any TDE effort
> that may or may not happen later.

Thanks for your comments, the initial version is attached here.

The buffer size is not configurable yet. Besides the new API itself, the patch
series shows how it can be used to store logical replication data changes as
well as statistics. Further comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

--
Antonin Houska

Attachment Content-Type Size
temp_file_api_v1.tgz application/gzip 17.3 KB