Re: Online Backups: Minor Caveat, Major Addition?

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Online Backups: Minor Caveat, Major Addition?
Date: 2006-03-23 04:54:15
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mar 20, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 17:12, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
>>> What about the larger suggested change of breaking that section into
>>> three more granular subsections? I could see commentary being
>>> slightly more helpful for each.
>>
>> No particular opinion from here.
>>
>> Someone (was it Scott Marlowe?) recently volunteered to draft a
>> complete restructuring of the admin docs --- so it would probably be
>> better to think about this as part of that effort rather than a
>> standalone change.
>
> That was me, and I'm working on it right now, in the background.
>
> If anyone has any input, I'd be glad to hear it. I'm still getting
> docbooks setup on my laptop and such...

Well, my input is to break 23.3.3 out into 3 practical scenarios:

1) recovery (same-server)
2) one-time (or occasional) remote backup
3) continuous recovery

I just noticed another caveat for remote recovery: disable
archive_command in the postgresql.conf from the filesystem-level backup.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/