Re: SQL2003 GENERATED ... AS ... syntax

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: des(at)des(dot)no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL2003 GENERATED ... AS ... syntax
Date: 2003-08-03 16:03:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

des(at)des(dot)no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=) writes:
> I thought about it, but won't that change the on-disk format? Since
> minor version upgrades aren't supposed to require a dump / restore,
> and I understand 7.4 is already in feature freeze, the earliest
> opportunity for something like this would be 7.5.

The earliest opportunity is 7.5 anyway. We don't do feature additions
in dot-releases, only bug fixes.

I don't much care for a trigger-based implementation of the
functionality; it seems like a crude way to do it. Seems like an easier
answer would involve rejecting attempts to set the column explicitly
during the rewriter stage that inserts default values.

I haven't looked at the SQL200x spec so I'm not sure exactly how they
define GENERATED ALWAYS --- is it an error to try to override the
default, or is your attempt silently ignored? We could do either.