Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql
Date: 2015-08-10 17:21:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm not sure how pushing it out to psql makes that better. There is
> no way to do further processing on something that psql has printed,
> so you've punted on solving that issue just as much if not more.

It's the same spirit as \x : the only thing it achieves is better
readability in certain cases, I don't expect more from it.
But I admit that \pivot would be much more of a "niche use case"
than \x

> Besides which, psql is not all that great for looking at very wide tables,
> so I'm not sure that this would be very useful for dynamic column sets
> anyway.

I use \x all the time with wide tables and \x and \pivot happen to play
out well together (In fact I was pleasantly surprised by this)

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite