Re: OpenBSD/Sparc status

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OpenBSD/Sparc status
Date: 2004-11-21 12:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner said:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>
>>>Meanwhile, what do we do? Turn off -O in src/template/openbsd for
>>>some/all releases?
>>

>> Certainly not. This problem is only known to exist in one gcc version
>> for one architecture, and besides it's only affecting (so far as we
>> can tell) one rather inessential contrib module. I'd say ignore the
>> test failure until Stefan can get a fixed gcc.
>
> FWIW: I got the bug confirmed by Miod Vallat (OpenBSD hacker) on IRC,
> it looks that at least OpenBSD 3.6-STABLE and OpenBSD-current on
> Sparc64 with the stock system compiler are affected.

I guess my concern is that on Sparc64/OpenBSD-3.6* at least, this bug is
exposed by the seg tests but might well occur elsewhere and bite us in
various unpleasant ways.

I have no idea how many people out there are using this combination. Of
course, even it it's only one (and I suspect that's the right order of
magnitude) we should want to be careful with their data.

cheers

andrew