Re: BUG #3808: Connections stays open in stateCLOSE_WAIT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Daniel Migowski" <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3808: Connections stays open in stateCLOSE_WAIT
Date: 2007-12-16 17:22:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
>> Should we require the form to tell us their exact version number and
>> throw an error if it isn't the current one?

> Past experience with other bug systems tells me we'll just end up with people selecting the lastest version to ensure the form is accepted, thus making it even harder for us to figure out what the problem really is.

Agreed, that's a pretty awful idea. It's hard enough to get accurate
version information, even without creating an incentive for people to
lie. Moreover, of those that are too honest to do that, a lot would
simply never file a report; thus keeping us from hearing about a problem
that might well still exist.