Re: BUG #16842: pg_dump uses seek calls on pipe files: suggesting adding a flag to disable seek calls

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Dalebjörk <tomas(dot)dalebjork(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16842: pg_dump uses seek calls on pipe files: suggesting adding a flag to disable seek calls
Date: 2021-01-28 20:57:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

=?utf-8?Q?Tomas_Dalebj=C3=B6rk?= <tomas(dot)dalebjork(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> thanks for the feedback Tom
> is the seek enabled only if —format=custom
> or is it enabled regardless of which flag used?

There's no seeking required for plain-text output format, but of
course that's even less flexible. Don't recall offhand about tar
format.

One thing I am kind of wondering about is why the whole thing is
a problem for you at all. If the device refuses seeks, shouldn't
our probe fail, and then we'll go on our way without data offsets?