Re: trailing whitespace in psql table output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trailing whitespace in psql table output
Date: 2010-09-28 16:18:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
>> I must be missing something pretty crucial here as far as the
>> complexity of changing all the regression tests. Wouldn't trimming
>> all trailing whitespace do the trick?

> Sure. But everyone using pg_regress will have to update their
> regression test expected outputs.

I'm inclined to think that that's not a fatal objection; it's not like
we haven't felt free to change psql's output format before. As long as
we don't back-patch this change, it should be no worse than other things
we've done to third-party code without a backwards glance.

It would be good to get rid of this whitespace because (I believe) it is
one of very few reasons for needing to have any trailing whitespace in
git-controlled files. If we could get to a point where trailing
whitespace in patches could be rejected automatically, it'd eliminate
one small pet peeve.