Re: More Snow Leopard fun: multiarch problems while building plperl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: More Snow Leopard fun: multiarch problems while building plperl
Date: 2009-09-08 15:31:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On mn, 2009-09-07 at 23:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... it seems to me that it's a pretty bad idea to have this switch
>> collection trying to override the arch(es) that Postgres is actually
>> being built for. Does anyone have an opinion about that pro or con?
>> Anybody have an idea about a simple way to get rid of those switches?

> perl_embed_ldflags is currently the difference of
> perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts
> minus
> perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{ccdlflags}'
> In that spirit, the answer would be to find something else in ExtUtils
> or Config that we can remove from ldopts.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in Config that exposes just the
-arch switches without any other stuff. I'm inclined to go with Jan
Otto's solution of sed'ing out those switches by name. It's a bit ugly
but should be safe.

BTW, I realized that the same problem exists already on OS X 10.5;
you can see it in buildfarm member korat's results, for instance.
10.5 seems to just use "-arch ppc -arch i386", but that's still more
than you want if you're not building PG as a universal binary.