Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Still more tweaking of git_changelog.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Still more tweaking of git_changelog.
Date: 2010-09-26 16:08:38
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Still more tweaking of git_changelog.

> Uhm, could you stop massively changing the behavior of this script
> with no discussion at all?

Uh, there was no discussion of the original behavior of the script
either.

> I happen to think that this is a
> distinctly bad idea. It defeats one of the major use cases of the
> original script, which is being able to easily figure out which
> branches a certain commit is in.

Hm? As far as I can tell, this fixes that not breaks it. The problem
I was seeing was that commits would be attributed to a branch when in
fact they were made before the branch ever existed.

> If you want to have an option for
> this behavior, fine, but please do not presume that everyone wants the
> same thing as you (since that is evidently not the case) or that you
> are the only person who is using it (if that were so, it should be
> stored in your personal workspace, rather than our community
> repository).

I was under the impression that the purpose of the script was to replace
cvs2cl and do approximately what cvs2cl did. If you have another
use-case then please explain what it is and why this change is bad
for it.