Re: Using text search for locations, or a computed btree index

From: Jaume Sabater <jsabater(at)linuxsilo(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using text search for locations, or a computed btree index
Date: 2008-12-04 17:29:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

----- "Jaume Sabater" <jsabater(at)linuxsilo(dot)net> wrote:

> The guys creating the web site at the company I work for want an
> incremental search for locations. So, I need to find all locations
> that start with Uni, then Unit, then Unite, and so on. Problem is that

Correct: start or contain.

> What I don't know how to do is to just tell tsvector (and tsquery when
> searching) to do what I need and not what I don't need. I can't find a
> way in the online documentation to tell the engine which pieces I want
> from the whole puzzle.

Rereading the configuration example section of the documentation, just thought that most probably PostgreSQL won't be applying the "phases" of normalization that I don't need if I create a new configuration and don't add any dictionary but the synonyms one (that would be used for the alternate names of locations).

Still, not sure how to control the way accented characters are converted. Will tsvector still convert accented characters to their non-accented equivalents if I don't specify any dictionary or thesaurus?

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"