Re: [HACKERS] 6.4.1 schedule (was segfault with -z option)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.4.1 schedule (was segfault with -z option)
Date: 1998-11-24 17:41:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
>> I still have about 10 things on my to-do-for-6.4.1 list, and no hope
>> of doing any of 'em before this weekend. If "soon" means "a couple
>> of weeks", then fine ...

> What's on that scheduale? Anything we can help with?

Here's my unvarnished to-do list. Most of it is configuration checks
that I figured I was in a good position to test (particularly the HPUX
items), but if you feel that I'm holding things up then feel free to
take a couple...

Actually, what I was kind of hoping *you* would work on is the
process-title-setting issue, since you had once indicated you'd
have a go at that for 6.4.1. I still think we need to snaffle
the process-title code from sendmail. What we have now doesn't
manage to change the ps listing on HPUX, and a couple of other
OSes too if I recall the discussion properly.

regards, tom lane

Auer reports segfault with pg_dump -z ... wtf?

HPUX FAQ! Ought to document yacc issues for HPUX 9. HP's lex doesn't
seem to work either, under both 9.* & 10.*. If you don't install patch
PHSS_4630 on HPUX 9, rint() is broken which leads to weird bugs in
datetime.

Update FAQ_CVS, also web page if not same file --- 1.9 is obsolete.

postmaster.c's fflush(NULL) doesn't work on SUNOS ... seems safe to
just fflush stdout and stderr instead. Worth making a configure test?
11/24 msgs

float8 regress test, pow, exp problems --- 11/18, 11/24 msgs

configure should unset USE_TK if X stuff not found. Cf. situation on
csp linux box, which has Tcl but no X.

configure.in ought not have a hardwired set of assumptions about what
the template file can define ... why not just read what's there, for
pete's sake? Proposed to list 11/22/98.

make install in doc failed on hpc200. Likely cause: no "zcat" in path.
Need to use autoconf to look for gzcat or zcat.

bogus selection of template when .similar entry includes partial rev
number --- see ts' msg of 11/19 8:44. Note that second try tries
to match without regard to version number, which is good ... it just
goes too far when there are multiple possibilities in .similar.
Note the wrong fix here could break HPUX --- might want to delete
rev number from hp line in .similar. (Fixed 11/22, I think.)

hpux 10.01 does not have POSIX signals? Perhaps we ought to use
autoconf to detect whether system has SA_RESTART... trick here is
that Makefile.hpux needs to know it too, to adjust library link order.
So would need to set info in both Makefile.global and config.h.
Could get rid of -DHPUX_10, which'd be a good idea anyway (in fact,
it might be possible to stop calling uname at all in Makefile.hpux,
which'd be a performance win).
NOTE: make sure template file or Makefile.port can override autoconf decision
in either direction (or at least the no-posix direction)... Makefile.port
can't do it because of config.h dependency. See pgsql msgs of 10/30.

Why does configure want libcurses to be included? Causes problems
in Makefile.hpux for HP10.. Could suppress libBSD instead of adding
an extra -lc pass if we got rid of curses. (libBSD only has signal
stuff.) Looks like libreadline requires either libtermcap or libcurses,
whichever is available on a given platform. Safest thing might be to
just put -lBSD in front of -lc ... Cf msgs 10/31 to 11/1.

%.sl rule in Makefile.hpux is probably not needed anymore?