Re: postgres_fdw : altering foreign table not invalidating prepare statement execution plan.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw : altering foreign table not invalidating prepare statement execution plan.
Date: 2016-11-09 20:17:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> [ foreign_plan_cache_inval_v6.patch ]

I looked through this a bit. A point that doesn't seem to have been
discussed anywhere in the thread is why foreign tables should deserve
exact tracking of dependencies, when we have not bothered with that
for most other object types. Schemas, for example, we're happy to just
zap the whole plan cache for. Attempting to do exact tracking is
somewhat expensive and bug-prone --- the length of this thread speaks
to the development cost and bug hazard. Meanwhile, nobody has questioned
the cost of attaching more PlanInvalItems to a plan (and the cost of the
extra catalog lookups this patch does to create them). For most plans,
that's nothing but overhead because no invalidation will actually occur
in the life of the plan.

I think there's a very good argument that we should just treat any inval
in pg_foreign_data_wrapper as a reason to blow away the whole plan cache.
People aren't going to alter FDW-level options often enough to make it
worth tracking things more finely. Personally I'd put pg_foreign_server
changes in the same boat, though maybe those are changed slightly more
often. If it's worth doing anything more than that, it would be to note
which plans mention foreign tables at all, and not invalidate those that
don't. We could do that with, say, a hasForeignTables bool in
PlannedStmt.

That leaves the question of whether it's worth detecting table-level
option changes this way, or whether we should just handle those by forcing
a relcache inval in ATExecGenericOptions, as in Amit's original patch in
<5702298D(dot)4090903(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>. I kind of like that approach; that
patch was short and sweet, and it put the cost on the unusual path (ALTER
TABLE) not the common path (every time we create a query plan).

That leaves not much of this patch :-( though maybe we could salvage some
of the test cases.