Re: ALTER TABLE .. ALTER COLUMN .. ERROR: attribute .. has wrong type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE .. ALTER COLUMN .. ERROR: attribute .. has wrong type
Date: 2017-01-09 19:10:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> [ pokes around... ] The code I was thinking of is convert_tuples_by_name
>> in access/common/tupconvert.c. There's a bit of an API mismatch in that
>> it wants to wrap the mapping array in a TupleConversionMap struct; but
>> maybe we could refactor tupconvert.c to offer a way to get just the map
>> array.

> Ah, nice gadget. I think the attached patch should do.

Looks reasonable to me.

>>> I also modified the algorithm to use the relcache instead of walking the
>>> child's attribute list for each parent attribute (that was silly).

>> Hmm. That might be better in a big-O sense but I doubt it's faster for
>> reasonable numbers of columns.

> Hm, I was thinking in unreasonable numbers of columns, keeping in mind
> that they can appear in arbitrary order in child tables. Then again,
> that probably seldom occurs in real databases. I suppose this could
> become an issue with table partitioning becoming more common, but I'm
> okay with deferring the optimization work.

It occurred to me that it'd be really easy to improve
convert_tuples_by_name so that, rather than having the inner loop
start from j = 0 every time, it starts from the attribute after the
last match (and loops around if needed, so that it still examines
every child attribute). I think this would keep it at more-or-less
linear time for all but very contrived child tables.

Since your patch is touching that code I won't do anything about it
right now, but maybe later.