Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs

From: Ron Peacetree <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: david_list(at)boreham(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date: 2006-04-25 21:43:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've had intermittent "freeze and reboot" and, worse, just plain freeze problems with the Core Duo's I've been testing. I have not been able to narrow it down so I do not know if it is a platform issue or a CPU issue. It appears to be HW, not SW, related since I have experienced the problem both under M$ and Linux 2.6 based OS's. I have not tested the Core Duo's under *BSD.

Also, being that they are only 32b Core Duo's have limited utility for a present day DB server.

Power and space critical applications where 64b is not required may be a reasonable place for them... ...if the
present reliability problems I'm seeing go away.

Ron